Tuesday, February 2, 2010

So we decided to leave for a bit

After a few weeks in the hole we had pretty much farmed it out. With three of us in a C2 there just weren't enough sites spawning to keep us entertained. One or two sites a day weren't cutting it. Every single one of the holes that our C2 static exited to were just as farmed out. C2 sites were getting entirely too easy and boring, anyway. With little else to do but mine we decided that it was time to move on.

We did have a crapload of ore so we decided that we'd rather refine it than haul it all out. To speed things up we bought a large pos and an intense refinery. The plan was to setup the large, get the intense refinery going and then get out asap. Then we were going to hang out in empire for a bit while we try to find a c3 that better suits our needs. With the large we'd have plenty of room for labs, production and adequate defenses. Everything was going great. We had gotten the large in the hole and we were starting to anchor it. Then we saw a tengu on the directional. We immediately warped back to the pos and sent a scout to check things out. Pretty soon another tengu, a legion and an onyx showed up. The onyx setup a bubble on our low sec exit and then things got interesting. Our scout accidently let that point be known in local.

Right away their whole gang started making ransom requests. They wanted 500 mil or they were going to blow up our pos. Oh crap...they already found the large. Since the large wasn't worth 500 mil we just kind of ignored them. Then they started trying to rush us into making a decision, talking about how they could have a dozen battleships here within an hour and how fail fit our pos was. Oh...they were talking about the medium. So at that point we were just stalling. The large had literally JUST started anchoring. We could either wait 15 minutes and then online the large which would take another hour or we could keep stalling, unanchor the pos and get it back to our hardened medium. We decided to go the quick route.

Meanwhile, we had convinced the pirates that we didn't even have 500 mil worth of loot in our pos and that they'd be very dissappointed if they went to all of the trouble of taking it down. I was in my apoc when they showed up so they had seen it. Since that was the most expensive ship they knew about they demanded that I load it up with as much loot as possible, take it to the nearest planet, eject and then tell them where it was. By the time they asked for it I had already swapped it for my bestower to get ready for the snatch and grab as soon as the large unanchored. My CEO was doing all of the talking so I don't even know if they knew I was there. He told them that I had logged off with it as soon as they started making demands. They bought it. At that point they started demanding that we contract them some stuff from empire. By now the large had unanchored so I recovered it. With nothing else to worry about we just ignored them and they eventually went away.

All in all it was a pretty exciting night. Rather than try to setup the large again we just logged and hauled everything to empire the next morning. Unfortunately, we had a bugged gun. We couldn't offline it which meant we couldn't unanchor the pos. By now our hole was critical and it had been nearing the end of it's life for a few hours. My CEO decided to stay inside and petition a GM. The GM responded surprisingly quickly, fixed the gun and we had the medium all packed up and ready to go. Unfortunately, our low sec exit had closed. He scanned down the next exit but, unfortunately, it was deep in low sec. It was, by far, the worst exit we had ever had....and he was in an itty V packed with pos fuel and a medium pos. Rather than risking it I convinced him to scan down the adjoining C2. There were over 20 sites for him to scan (we FINALLY got a decent neighbor >.<) but he lucked out and found a high sec exit on the first try that was only 7 jumps from our corporate headquarters.

So we made it out just fine. After doing a couple of mind numbingly boring missions I'm ready to find another hole. The sleepers are much more challenging. We've done a few c3 sites since we left. We just haven't found a hole that suits are needs. I'm seriously considering buying a medium pos and moving back into a C2 by myself once I get a few skills trained. I need to get a cloak for my scanning alt. I need to work on my tanking skills on my amarr pilot. I need to be able to fly a cov ops ship. I'm also thinking that I need to get into a cov ops transport but that can probably wait. Mining abc ore at your leisure is great but getting the ore out of the hole is way too much of a pain. Sleeper sites are great money but when they stop spawning then it's time to move. I just need to figure out a setup that will keep me busy for a while.

3 comments:

  1. The key to a successful stay in a Class 2 is being able to work the neighbors.

    To dop that effectively you have to be able to close them when they are not good. We could close a D382 in about 15 minutes. This gives us the ability to search several statics a night.

    Don't know if you just had very bad luck in the static Class 2's, but we found only about 1/2 had POS's in them and even those many were not active.

    Good luck in the mean time and good luck finding another w-space home.

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had an orca pilot inside but he didn't get on much while we were in there. I tried closing some holes with my apoc but it took forever. I'll get it down much better by the time I move back. I should also be able to fly a raven. Two bs's will speed things up a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remeber the AB's and MWD's to get it big enough to close it once criticaled.

    Mick

    ReplyDelete